Heather Ferg was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta. Her passion for education led her to pursue two undergraduate degrees (in Political Science and English), which she completed at the University of Calgary. Shortly thereafter, Ms. Ferg enrolled in the University of Alberta’s Faculty of Law program where she obtained her LL.B.
Building on the foundation of her law degree, Ms. Ferg articled under the guidance and direction of Ian McKay of Dunn & McKay and Karen Molle. Following her articles, Ms. Ferg was welcomed as an Associate at Evans Fagan Rice McKay. Ms. Ferg became a Partner at McKay Criminal Defence LLP, now McKay Ferg LLP.
Ms. Ferg is an accomplished criminal litigation lawyer who practices exclusively in the area of criminal defence. Her work includes a strong focus on the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, particularly in the area of Search and Seizure.
Ms. Ferg has argued in all levels of Court in Canada and has appeared in the Supreme Court of Canada on a number of occasions. She has experience in numerous areas of criminal litigation including:
- Pre-charge advice & consultation
- Bail & Bail reviews
- Property offences
- Crimes of violence & sexual offences (including sexual assault and historical allegations of sexual assault)
- Criminal Driving Offences
- Drug offences (including possession, trafficking, production, importation and criminal organization offences)
- Fraud & Economic crimes
- Wiretap & Proceeds of crime
- Civil Forfeiture
- Appeals (which includes Summary Conviction Appeals in the Court of Queen’s Bench, Conviction and Sentence Appeals in Provincial Courts of Appeal and Leave Applications and Appeals to the Supreme Court of Canada)
Ms. Ferg’s areas of written advocacy include:
- Legal Opinions
- Research Memoranda
- Charter Notices & Written Arguments
- Sentencing Submissions
- Appellate Facta
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Criminal Defence Lawyer's Association
- Criminal Trial Lawyer's Association
- The National Association of Criminal Defence Lawyers
- The Advocates' Society
Ms. Ferg is also a contributor to On the Wire.